According to a recent article from Business Insider, the average person spends more than 90,000 hours at work during their lifetime. Research results indicate that as many as 80% are unhappy with their jobs. Massage therapists and estheticians (skin care practitioners) are fortunate, as they enjoy many of the top factors that contribute to job satisfaction, including:
- Recognition for a job well done— with the knowledge, skills and confidence that massage therapists and estheticians receive from a high-quality education, they consistently receive compliments from their clients and other expressions of appreciation from their clients.
- A healthy working environment— a clean, well-lit adequate space with the proper equipment. This describes a private practice office and any one of a number of settings where massage therapists and estheticians work – spas, medical offices etc. The environment is quiet, serene, visually pleasant, and the equipment and products support practitioners in performing at their highest levels..
- Meaningful work— trading your time in life to help achieve something worthwhile. According to the American Psychological Association (APA), chronic stress is linked to the six leading causes of death: heart disease, cancer, lung ailments, accidents, cirrhosis of the liver, and suicide. The APA also states that more than 75 percent of all physician office visits are for stress-related ailments and complaints. The stress reduction provided by a deeply relaxing massage session or a soothing, nurturing esthetics treatment is a very significant contributor to overall health and wellbeing. Massage therapists and estheticians enjoy a tremendous level of satisfaction, knowing that they have helped clients be healthier and feel and look better.
- Equitable compensation— linked not to longevity or rank, but to performance. The rate at which clients return for treatment is directly linked to the quality of care that they receive. With a high rate of client retention, fair compensation is assured. In many massage and esthetics settings, compensation in the form of tips from satisfied customers significantly increases the practitioner’s pay.
- The chance to work with interesting, motivated, responsible people— whose personal and professional goals are in alignment with one’s own. The passion that practitioners in the massage and skin care industries bring to their work is mirrored by spa owners, medical doctors and other managers who are dedicated to getting the best results for all clients.
- Job flexibility and personal freedom – this is one of the top reasons why massage therapists and estheticians choose their new careers. They know that they will be able to set their own schedules, so that they can achieve a healthy balance between work and family, and they will be able to pursue their personal interests outside of work.
At Health Works Institute, we encourage prospective students to transform your life path and do work that you love! Choosing to become a massage therapist or an esthetician allows you to contribute to the ripple effect that occurs when practitioners and clients feel great – you will find yourself feeling happy, centered and appreciative on the inside, and you will find yourself being more patient, compassionate, and loving on the outside. To learn more about programs at Health Works Institute, click here.